[fedora-java] Orphaning/removing java-1.6.0-openjdk from F17 and rawhide

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 15:41:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

OpenJDK6 will no longer be getting security updates after November 2012.

Since the lifespan of Fedora 17 is well beyond this, we have been
working toward being able to remove java-1.6.0-openjdk from Fedora 16
and proposed so in the F17 Java 7 feature:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7

We have re-built most packages that failed to build with Java 7:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java7_Package_Rebuild_Status

Most of what remains above is an FTFBS unrelated to Java 7.

To that end, I will be orphaning java-1.6.0-openjdk from F17 and rawhide
tomorrow -- this is just a heads up email.

Cheers,
Deepak