Can't close systemsettings

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 19 14:25:37 UTC 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> It doesn't here - or does it?  See below.  This is 4.1.3-2.fc10, and I have
>
> ---spacer---
> Keep Above Others (unavailable)
> Keep Below Others (unavailable)
> Shade (unavailable)
> Resize (unavailable)
>
> I had missed the last one, as I hadn't dragged the window up.

That just means all the supported buttons are already present. If you remove
one, it'll show up as available.

> I finally realised that there is a close button on the extreme left - not
> expecting that, I didn't see it.

I'm not sure where that layout comes from, I thought it was from Oxygen/Ozone,
but that actually defaults to having the close button on the extreme right
after the 2 spacers. Maybe an old version of Oxygen? Or maybe it's just what
the default is the first time you enable customized positions.

> However, now, on that preview I see '? + _ square H H X'.  Is the '+' what
> should allow adding buttons?  If so, it doesn't seem to do anything.

The '+' stands for "On all desktops". '?' is Help, '_' is minimize, the square
is maximize.

> Then there is those two instances of 'H' - what are they?

The 'H's are spacers (separators). Oxygen uses those spacers to look "cool",
in most other window decorations they're just annoying, so just remove them.

> Applying now shows buttons in the order of '? O Down Up wide-blue-blank-icon
> X' - presumably related to those two 'H's?

Right, those 2 'H's are spacers so they produce that wide blank space.

        Kevin Kofler