another DeviceKit backend for Solid

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Aug 8 22:06:05 UTC 2009

Benjamin K. Stuhl wrote:
>   I committed another, alternative, DeviceKit-based Solid backend to KDE's
> Subversion repository yesterday, in
> branches/work/alternative-solid- devicekit. It grew out of some
> experiments I was doing with writing a Qt-ish libudev wrapper (you can see
> the API in solid/backends/udevqt.h). Since it got large enough to perhaps
> be useful to other people, and also to convince me that the general
> approach would work, I imported it into Subversion from my GitHub
> repository. The major difference from Pino and Lukas's
> work/solid-devicekit branch is that I also use libudev for enumeration, as
> well as DeviceKit-*;

Great! I told ltinkl this is necessary, he wasn't very thrilled by the idea.

> I have also made an effort to try to minimize the amount of boilerplate
> code each Interface needs (c.f.
> solid/backends/devicekit/dkdevice.cpp:dbusDeviceCall() and
> solid/backends/devicekit/dkinterface.h). Please take a look and comment or
> help out, especially if you know DeviceKit or libudev.

In what state is it in? Is it something we could put into Rawhide, keeping
in mind that the Fedora 12 release is less than 3 months from now? Or is it
still incomplete and/or buggy?

(We decided that the original work/solid-devicekit branch is not suitable
because it's missing features the HAL backend has. With libudev, we should
be able to provide those features.)

        Kevin Kofler