How is KDE4 working in updates-testing ?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Aug 13 15:25:59 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 09:36 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> Er, that confuses me. I was under the impression that it went like this:
>>>
>>> kde-testing -> updates-testing -> updates
>>>
>>> Is that wrong?
>> No.  kde* repos we have direct control over, so we can put anything we
>> want in them.  In this case, I've been syncing the latest
>> updates-testing builds into kde-testing too.  The caveat of doing that
>> is it (kde*) misses -debuginfo pkgs.
>
> I just answered Kevin before seeing this, which changes things a little.
>>From what you say there is no guaranteed precedence relation between the
> two repos, i.e. one may have more recent packages than the other, or
> vice versa. So what's the conscientious tester to do? Use both? (I'm not
> being provocative, it's a real question).

My own personal recommendation is usually to use the union of both
kde-testing and updates-testing.

For those less willing to touch updates-testing, then just do kde-testing.

Some folks prefer to cherry-pick stuff from updates-testing, but that
has it's own downsides and pitfalls (ie, there are sometimes implicit
dependencies with other stuff in updates-testing ).

-- Rex