F12 Glitchy on Activating Window border (Raise / Focus) w/ Nvidia driver

Reuben Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Fri Dec 4 04:41:34 UTC 2009

Hello,
I have a fresh install of F12. I use the Nvidia proprietary driver because I
have to run some 3D visualization software. I use this proposed fix for the
Xorg due to the reported problem with KDE:
I have compositing enabled.

Everything seems to work fine, except some glitch on window border when it's
activated. I have "Focus follow mouse" set. When my mouse hover to a window
behind another window, the focus suppose to follow that mouse (and it does),
and change the color or that Window's border to indicate it's now the active
window. In a lot of cases, the newly active Window's border is either:

1. Not changed to active, or there are some delays before it gets changed,
although the focus does seem to react immediately according to my preset delay
time (e.g. I can immediately type on the supposedly active window)
2. The color change to active but has some glitch, some of the old inactive
color remains and it gets mixed
3. The color of the newly active windows changes, but the color of the
supposedly inactive windows remains "active", so now according to the window
border color I seems to I have two active windows.

Disabling compositing seems to remove this problem. Has anyone else seen this
? Is this related to the aforementioned problem of KDE + proprietary Nvidia
driver ?

Thanks.
RDB