F12: 30 second freeze when accessing certain panel items ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 17 10:05:45 UTC 2009

Martin (KDE) wrote:
> I don't think that nVidias driver demotivates free driver developer.

I have observed that where a proprietary freeware exists for GNU/Linux,
there's a lot less progress on a truly Free alternative than where it
doesn't. Too many people are content with using the proprietary stuff as
long as they don't have to pay for it, whereas if there's no GNU/Linux
version of the proprietary stuff, it forces them to work on an alternative
which usually gets released under a Free license.

> - Star Office (today known as openOffice) in the time no office was
> available

How long ago was that? KOffice has existed since 1998.

> - nVidia driver (since about half a year - I try Nouveau driver every
> now and then and it is getting better so I hope to switch to Nouveau
> soon) (Why nVidia? Nowadays it is not that easy to by a passive AGP
> graphic card).

There's at least one being sold in most of Europe based on a Radeon HD, it
should now work in F12, probably even with 3D with mesa-dri-drivers-
experimental.

        Kevin Kofler