PackageKit and "yum install ..." hang

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Thu Dec 31 08:25:25 UTC 2009

I think this is related to the "kded4" crashing but not sure how. When I
try to use KPackageKit to find a package under "Software Management" it
now hangs with the message at bottom "waiting on other tesks". If I do a
yum install it also hangs after printing "Loaded plugins: presto,
refresh-packagekit" and can only exit it with kill -9. I think maybe if
kpkgkit waits long enough that kded4 finally crashes. So this may be
what others see too. But yum hanging was not reported I don't think and
I wasn't seeing it earlier.

I have tried log off/on, restart X, power off/on and nothing helps.
Network connection still good.

-gene