Too secure to be practical!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 1 10:40:29 UTC 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 01:54:42 Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 31 October 2009 16:19:32 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> >> This should work:
> >>
> >> Copy data from SD card to hard drive, format SD card, copy data back to
> >> SD card.
> >
> > There's one big problem.  Partition managers don't recognise
> > LUKS-encrypted drives, and I very much doubt if format does either.  It
> > will have to be a command that partners the encryption command, I guess.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Once the partition is decrypted, the block device under /dev/mapper should
>  be readable by a partition manager.

Well, mounting the device in Dolphin, I can see the data.  Oops - now I
realise that it was the Windows data partition that I was seeing.  There is a
second 'Volume' in Dolphin, and clicking on that bounces immediately to 'home'
(still in Places).  This is the location '/media/-home' which contains only
lost+found.  Clicking on that brings the message 'Could not enter folder
/media/-home/lost+found'.  Entering it as root it says that there are 0 items.

Qtparted sees only my hard drive.  I think this output from fdisk refers to
it, though:

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 7969 MB, 7969177600 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 968 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000eb694

/dev/mmcblk1p1   *           1         765     6144831   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk1p2             766         903     1108485   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk1p3             904         968      522112+  82  Linux swap /
Solaris

Disk /dev/dm-0: 1134 MB, 1134560256 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 137 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/dm-0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Fdisk and formatting is one place where I do not experiment :-), too
dangerous, so I welcome advice from someone with more experience.

I have used fdisk to prepare an empty disk, but this is definitely beyond my
experience level.