Semi-OT: Security advice, please

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:22:47 UTC 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 22:22:54 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Could these lines have been caused by crashing applications?
>
> The .lock files, probably. The .hmac files, no, they are security
> signatures: if you enable "FIPS mode", those signatures are validated to
> make sure security libraries are not compromised (but that feature is not
> enabled by default in Fedora).

That sounds worth doing.  Can you tell me more about how to enable it?  There
must be a reason why Fedora don't enable it by default, so it might be useful
to know that as well, please.

> Not sure what the other dotfiles are.

I wasn't seriously alarmed, but felt it wise to play safe.  This morning's
report doesn't find those files, so I assume they have been cleaned up.

Thanks for the reassurance.