Help! Locked out of my laptop

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:45:36 UTC 2009

On Sunday 22 November 2009 16:07, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 22 November 2009 13:20, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > could try removing everything matching
> > rm -rf /tmp/*<username>* /var/tmp/*<username>*
>
> Rex, I've got a responsive cursor, but the whirling 'busy' never appears.
> Does that give you any clue as to how far it gets?

kdm.log has the following lines:

initing gart:1fdff000 vram: s:4000000 v:3b58000
naming attemp 3
naming 3 with 2

The failed logins have those line in huge numbers, ending with
naming attemp 2512
naming 2512 with 65

Successful ones seem to typically have two of these pairs.

Then there are xkeyboard keymap reports:
Warning: Duplicate shape name **
Using last definition

many times, followed by

Warning: Multiple doodads names **
Using first definition

continuing to say that they are not fatal

then finally lots more of the 'attemp' pairs of lines.

(EE) RADEON(0): failed to set mode: Operation not permitted.

That's all I can find of any possible significance in any of the log files :-(