Introducing myself

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Wed Sep 2 17:06:02 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

Rex asked that I introduce myself upon subscribing, so
here goes :-).

I'm a KDE developer residing in Berlin, Germany. I've
been with KDE for about 4 1/2 years now, and a member
of KDE e.V. for a little over three years.

Within KDE I maintain and release Konversation and Ya-
kuake, am a channel operator on a bunch of the official
Freenode channels (#kde, #kde-cafe and #kde-chat) and
have the usual little contributions all over the place
(Akregator, kwin, Krita ...).

I've been using Gentoo Linux on my systems for the
last close to seven years, but recently started ha-
ving some troubling thoughts abouts the environmen-
tal footprint of the source-based approach, along
with a general desire for trying out something new.
I've been keeping an eye on Fedora ever since Rex
gave that talk about Fedora KDE at Akademy 2006 in
Glasgow, and have been impressed with the work be-
ing done here, so the choice came easy. Plus Fedo-
ra's emphasis on current software, good tools and
system-level improvements also generally fits my
needs and interests.

I know next to nothing about RPM packaging other
than once managing to fix up and build a broken
openSUSE spec file for a PowerPC kernel, and still
have a lot to learn about Fedora, but I hope I can
contribute to the KDE SIG in the future :).

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein