How to use strigi

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 6 12:01:32 UTC 2009

On Sunday 06 September 2009 12:39:56 Sonic wrote:
> On 09/06/2009 02:46 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I don't believe it is possible to use strigi without nepomuk running.
> > Why do you not want to use it?
>
> I don't know if having Nepomuk takes up system resources. I'm not an
> expert on the several backends that Strigi/nepomuk apparently supports
> or their relative performance impacts.
> Frankly, I find the 'rate your files' feature quite pointless, unless
> it's for some specific application (a music/photo management app, for
> example). I think it'd be safe to assume that more users would want to
> search & locate their files than 'rate' them.

Nepomuk's tagging is not the same as amarok's tagging :-)  It collects
information about your files and their contents and collates and stores
information about them in order for strigi to work.

> So, is Strigi a product/feature on it's own or is it a minion of
> Nepomuk-KDE?

Strigi then indexes the files, based on the information that nepomuk has
gathered.  It's this combination of the two that will give us very fast access
to all files relating to a search-term.  For most of us it's not fully
functional yet.