OT: Re: Date format

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 15:11:01 UTC 2010

On Fri April 2 2010, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Not quite the same thing. UK and US English are different in some
> respects ("two countries divided by the same language") but at least
> it's clear that we're talking about specific regions and their
> peculiarities (not to mention the local differences even within those
> regions) so we can all make allowances. In the case of date formats,
> it's the US versus everyone else and it actually does lead to ambiguity
> in some cases.

[snip]
> Not that I expect this to change of course.

Interesting. I didn't realize that *everyone* else used the other format
for dates. I really was under the impression that most everyone in North
America used the same date format (i.e. Mexico, Canada, USA, etc.) I won't
swear to it, but I'm reasonably familiar with our friends to the north and
south of the US, and I was pretty sure they used the same date format we do
here in the US.