Gnome eradication

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 12:35:52 UTC 2010

On Thursday 22 April 2010 14:03:18 Felix Miata wrote:
> [F13]
> # yum groupremove "Gnome Desktop Environment"
> Erasing: kde-settings-pulseaudio...
> Erasing: kpackagekit...
> Erasing: PackageKit-qt...
> #
>
> Can this be right?

no, but it's known this does not work.

Fedora (package groups) does not support removing Gnome well.

There is another scenario - during F-13 install I've just unchecked Gnome and
checked KDE, but after installation a lot of gnome package were installed.
They were pulled in through Games group (gnome-games package).

With actual design there are two possibilities:
a)do not remove packages from other groups - in this case it won't remove too
much for example because of gnome-games

b)remove all packages belonging to this group - in this case it would remove
also some packages from other groups (for example system-config-*)

but I agree this is not the way how it should (ideally) work