kde4.4 in updates-testing

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 18 13:56:18 UTC 2010

2010/2/18 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 10:30 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> > "Backing out" means reversing an earlier advance, e.g. by using "yum
>> > downgrade". Disabling updates-testing won't do that. All it does is
>> > tread water until the standard repo catches up. Nothing wrong with
>> that,
>> > but it's not "backing out".
>>
>> Ok, so backing out means to revert the update trough a yum downgrade.
>> Where's the problem?
>
> Well, for one thing downgrading doesn't always work, but aside from that
> I was merely pointing out that the simple disabling of updates-testing
> doesn't back you out of anything, which is what you actually said
> (perhaps not what you meant to say). It's best to be clear about these
> things or less experienced readers might get the wrong idea.

That's why i started to reply to you at all. The less experienced user
might get the idea that using updates-testing is the same as using
rawhide mixed into their stable release.

Main reason here is that we want more users testing (just use it as
normal) our packages from updates-testing. That's what it is for. To
find problems who *might* be there. And especially because i (we) can
test that stuff only on our own hardware and software setup.
But i (i can speak only for myself) do test that stuff even before it
appears in updates-testing. So you will find (normally) only software
that is at least basically tested for functionality.

But, i do agree that there is a need to clarify that kind of things,
maybe with a popup window, on first login to the newly installed
Fedora. Like a "Please read me. It costs you only 10 minutes of your
life, but safes you a ton of headaches and gets you a better
experience with your fedora." ;) Because people tend to enable any
repo installed by default.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium