Regular users happy with KDE 4.4.0 SC?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 13:33:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 14:53 +0200, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> This is not the way to go at all. The transition should have been
> transparent. There should have been no need to communicate anything.
> The developers should simply have taken into account the work that was
> done before, provided the means to automagically transition to
> whatever changes that needed to made, informing users with a dialog
> box that a transition was being made when running the app for the
> first time after the upgrade, and letting the user continue on with
> their stuff.
>
> Anything less is simply unprofessional.

So far KDE 4.4 has worked for me, but in the past I've had several
serious problems with KDE apps (including Amarok and the Desktop
Switcher) because newer versions don't properly understand old config
files. When I've raised the point on this list the reaction is on the
lines of "it's too hard to do properly".

poc

PS Please remember not to top-post here.