Regular users happy with KDE 4.4.0 SC?

Garry Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 16:58:55 UTC 2010

2010/2/24 Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 10:46:18 Martin Kho wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today KDE 4.4.0 came in on my production system - fully updated FC12.
>>
>> First, congratulations and thanks for the hard and mostly good work!

+1

>> Next, I was hit by (1) errors during the start of akonadi and (2) a
>> messagebox that was telling me that nepumuk is disabled.
>>
>> I've followed the discussions on fedora-kde, so I knew what could happen.
>> But what would a regular user think? Is KDE 4.4.0 some what to early
>> pushed?
>
> Most of the problems seem to have been caused by an essential update to
> virtuoso coming out far too close to the 4.4 release date for comfort, yet
> needing to be included.  Most of us that suffered worst were the ones that had
> been running virtuoso already.  The developers thought that hardly any
> 'ordinary users' would fall into that category, and were surprised by the
> result.  The 4.4.1 update should be out soon, and I'd be inclined to not push
> 4.4.0 to users that are less than comfortable with fixing things.  Just my
> opinion,of course.

I (to my knowledge) had not been running virtuoso.  I never enabled
desktop search.  Yet, after installing 4.4 from updates-testing, I got
the warning about nepomukserver failing.  And this required me to
track down a directory to rename so that the warning would go away.

My only point is that I wasn't running anything prerelease and I
encountered a problem that an "ordinary user" would have difficulty
solving on his own.  It seems that this will happen when
updates-testing is pushed to updates.

--
Garry Williams +1 678 656-4579