My particular Nepomuk/Akonadi issue...

Steven P. Ulrick fedora-kde at afolkey2.net
Fri Feb 26 22:08:22 UTC 2010

> I am not a developer, and this is a totally uneducated guess.
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-005.jpg seems to
show
> the problem.  I suspect that because you checked the strigi service
akonadi is
> trying to use it, and can't find it, so fails.  In your position I'd
first try
> unchecking the strigi service, then I'd shut everything down and log out.
I'd
> choose to do it that way because it ensures that everything kde needs to
run
> smoothly gets started in the right order.  If that works, then we try to
find
> why your strigi service isn't working correctly.
>
> Anne

Hello Anne
I did the following:
1. Made sure that "Enable Strigi Desktop File Indexer" was NOT checked.
2. Logged out and then logged back in.
3. After a few minutes, this error came up again:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-001.jpg

Being much less knowledgeable than you about this, I tried running
"strigidaemon" as a regular user:
[steve at localhost ~]$ strigidaemon
could not create writer: Lock obtain timed out
^Cstop
DBusHandler::stop
stop
DBusHandler::stop
stopping
could not create writer: Lock obtain timed out

The significance of this is that when I ran "strigidaemon" as root, it
appeared to run without error.  So, I proceeded to log out of my regular
user account, and log into KDE 4.4.0 as root (yeah, I know...)  I opened up
a terminal and started "strigidaemon"  I then enabled "Enable Strigi
Desktop File Indexer"  A few second later, I got a message about the
indexer being idle.  So, I copied about 1.3 GB of Johnny Cash MP3's to
/root.  They were happily indexed right before my eyes :)

So, in KDE 4.4.0, Strigi Desktop File indexing works as root and not as a
regular user.  (For me, anyway...)
You know, this reminds me of a completely unrelated issue I have where, for
example, I can't run a Python/GTK based app unless I am logged in as
root...

Anyway, eagerly awaiting wisdom on how to make this work as a regular user.

Thank You,
Steven P. Ulrick