Flashing tile in Task Manager

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 01:59:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have configured the Task Manager widget in the KDE panel to show only
apps for the current desktop, but I've noticed that a flashing tile for an
app from another desktop will appear if KDE detects that that app has
performed some action such as a screen update.  I suppose this can be a
useful feature, but in the case of GNU Emacs it's a bit annoying.  If I
use a keyboard shortcut to jump to a desktop with a GNU Emacs window, it's
100% certain that I'll see a flashing tile for that window if I land in a
different desktop.  In other words, I don't even need to _do_ anything in
Emacs to cause the flashing tile to appear--I just need to visit its
desktop via a keystroke.  If I want to leave the Emacs desktop without
triggering the flashing tile, I have to use the mouse to select a
different desktop from the Virtual Desktops widget.

Note that this behavior began when I upgraded to KDE 4.4.x.  I had no such
problem with 4.3.x.

Two questions:

1.  Is there any way to configure Task Manager to exempt selected apps
from the "flashing tile" treatment?  Are there any other workarounds that
might cut back on this nuisance?

2.  If not, any suggestions on how I ought to put together a clear
upstream bug report or enhancement request?

Thanks,
Dave
--
Dave Ulrick