kdepim4.5

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 19:49:46 UTC 2010

On Friday 02 July 2010 18:04:54 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 18:03:10 Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Christoph Kaulich wrote:
> > > just a short question, will there be a kdepim 4.5 beta1 build for fc13?
> >
> > When it is provided by it's upstream.
> >
> > Turns out just yesterday, some preliminary kdepim-4.5-beta1 tarballs were
> > provided to packagers, so we'll get to work on those, and get into
> > rawhide and kde-unstable asap.
>
> Errr.... What does that say about stability?  If I recall correctly there
> were serious issues with kdepim 4.5 that delayed the release with kde 4.5.
> Does that mean the developers think that they have been resolved? If not
> is it wise to include kdepim 4.5 so deep in the release cycle?
>
> Eli
The developers have said explicitly that it is a Technical Preview.  They have
asked that distros that choose to supply it should make that clear to users,
and that they should distribute the 4.4 version as standard in SC 4,5, which
means that you will be able to run the two in parallel, but only if you
explicitly choose to.

The migration path is fairly well tested, but if things do go wrong it is
possible to revert to using the 4.4 version.  However, it sounds a bit
complicated to me so I have asked the developers to help me write up a clear
explanation when the release gets nearer.