Konqueror and Gmail

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 1 10:55:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Anoop wrote:
>> Can someone tell me how to make Konqueror work with Gmail?
>
> Why use a web browser for e-mail?

Because he (and i as well) like it?

> The best solution is to use KMail, follow the instructions for IMAP access
> and you can still keep all your messages on the server as with webmail
> (which also means you can still use the webmail on other machines, or even
> the same machine for that matter), but get an actual e-mail client which is
> much nicer to use than some AJAX crap in the browser.
>
> A web browser is not an e-mail client!

Sometimes you should leave things in the users opinion. The "AJAX
crap" Just works from everywhere. It doesn't help me at all if i have
my emails via IMAP on my box, if i haven't access to that box.
Anyways it's still the users preference and freedom to use what ever
"crap" he wants.

> That said, Konqueror's default KHTML engine can be persuaded to work with
> GMail by faking browser identifiers or such. And indeed there's also the
> WebKitPart, but that's not that great an idea as it's not the recommended
> HTML renderer in Konqueror (in fact the only reason it works at all is that
> Konqueror can embed any arbitrary KPart).

Still interesting that this arbitrary peace of software works better
than KHTML. I use what works and fits my needs. That is KDE in
general, but thank god we can choose what we want. If WebKitPart does
work better here, without the need to fake something, so may it be.
The world will not come to an end.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium