Konqueror and Gmail

Mitchell Richters mjr4077au at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:59:39 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 09:59 PM, Anoop wrote:
> Hi Keven,
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at>  wrote:
>
>> Anoop wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to make Konqueror work with Gmail?
>>>
>> Why use a web browser for e-mail?
>>
> I very much use KMail. But sometimes I do need to use Webmail say if I
> am not on my workstation.
>
> Thanks,
> Anoop
>

>> The best solution is to use KMail, follow the instructions for IMAP access
>> and you can still keep all your messages on the server as with webmail
>> (which also means you can still use the webmail on other machines, or even
>> the same machine for that matter), but get an actual e-mail client which is
>> much nicer to use than some AJAX crap in the browser.
>>
>> A web browser is not an e-mail client!
>>
>> That said, Konqueror's default KHTML engine can be persuaded to work with
>> GMail by faking browser identifiers or such. And indeed there's also the
>> WebKitPart, but that's not that great an idea as it's not the recommended
>> HTML renderer in Konqueror (in fact the only reason it works at all is that
>> Konqueror can embed any arbitrary KPart).
>>
>>         Kevin Kofler

Worth mentioning to Anoop, if you're not on a webpage in Konqueror, you
can't select the rendering engine via View > View Mode. If you're in a
file manager session, it will only show you view options for changing
the Window display (Icons, List, Details etc...).

Alexey mentions installing "webkitpart". I think its probably already
installed if you changed the default layout renderer via System Settings
(you wouldn't have had the option I don't think).

Cheers, Mitch.