Network Management - probably pebcak needs sorting

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:17:51 UTC 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010 16:09:44 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 12:06 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >>
> >> I could try it again, but of course the reason I was trying knetwork
> >> manager was because NetworkManager-gnome wasn't working.  Still, it's
> >> worth a try, since I tried to change over before the 4.4.1 update.  I'll
> >> report back.
> >
> > Is there no way of restarting things like this, without rebooting?  It's
> > beginning to feel like windows!  AIUI the command 'service network
> > restart' can't be used if NetworkManager-gnome is to control it.  Is
> > that right?
>
> service NetworkManager restart

service NetworkManager restart
Stopping NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
Starting NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
[root at anne-laptop ~]# ifup eth0

Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient(6296) is already running -
exiting.

This version of ISC DHCP is based on the release available
on ftp.isc.org.  Features have been added and other changes
have been made to the base software release in order to make
it work better with this distribution.

Please report for this software via the Red Hat Bugzilla site:
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com

exiting.
 failed.

I think I'm beaten.

Just one thought - I have no idea why, but on this laptop eth0 is defined as
the wireless interface and eth1 is the cabled one.  I didn't do this - the
setup did - but I'm beginning to wonder whether it's relevant.

KDE Community Working Group