RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 9 17:57:32 UTC 2010

Petrus... with all due respect. It's not that I expect to have things
completely bug free and as has been pointed out to me quite often is that
Fedora is an independant distro in its own right.

While Fedora is bleeding edge, it is not a Beta Testing Ground for the
software the KDE releases as stable only to find that in fact its Beta
released to the public so that we can prepare the ground for stable.1. There
have been a lot of bugs that I've reported for Konqueror that have existed in
3.x and have never been fixed. KDEPim 4.4.0 release was close to being a
disaster. People have been a great deal of discussion regarding KDENetwork
Manager, I've got still have issues with PulseAudio. Useabiltiy issues with
the panel that are not going to be even looked at.

I need to emphasize this. These are not packaging issues. These are
programming issues. And quite frankly I'm quite bored with the deification of
the programmer who thinks that he's "all that"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OpenSource is a collaborative effort. And part of
the effort comes from users. And those users need to be confident that an
upgrade to their system isn't going to destroy years of data gathering
(backups not withstanding). And if I as a user want to visit CNN and click on
a flash video in Konqueror, I don't expect my browser to crash. I expect it to
show the the video. However, Konqueror crashes while using khtml or webkit far
to often. However Chrome with webkit works brilliantly, but it isn't a KDE
app. Nor is firefox. And again..... If I need to start using Gnome apps for
regular day to day stuff. Why have the extra KDE libraries loaded. Excuse
me.... I can live without the eye candy if it means my browser won't crash.
But if my browser crashes I will have a much more difficult time getting the
information I need to navigate my personal and professional world on a day to
day basis but gee doesn't my desktop look great..... I've got wobbly
windows.... whoopie.

Eli

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 19:19:56 Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > people are relying on KDE and KDE apps
> > to get things done for work and pleasure
>
> IMO, fedora is a 'cutting edge' distro and it is
> the testing ground for red hat. fedora is a
> wonderful 'gift' and I dread (!!!) the day they
> might decide to pull the plug and make us all pay
>
> :-( at the present, our bug reports are our means
>
> of payment to help them make red hat a better
> product.
>
> fedora has always been excellent and the quality
> of the work is of the highest standard (try any
> other distro for even an hour to see what I mean)
> and the integration of the latest available
> updates is smooth and with barely a glitch, and
> then only briefly, at most a night (and this has
> only occurred twice in at least 2 years! once it
> was an Xorg issue to do with modesetting, the
> other time sesame2 vs virtuoso confusion).
>
> People who expect never to encounter a bug, or
> who cannot afford to encounter a bug (pretty well
> impossible in a testing ground, and any work- or
> play-stopping ones have been fixed the following
> morning, or sooner, if one looks on koji or
> follows the bugzilla thread) should be using red
> hat, not fedora.

believed to be clean.