RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 19:11:45 UTC 2010

On 03/09/2010 11:36 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 10:55 PM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>> What really needs to happen, in my humble opinion, is that the packaging team
>> needs to get together with the packaging team from the other distros and
>> simply refuse to even consider package for testing until the current array of
>> application bugs get fixed and that the QA upstream improves. There is no good
>> reason why packaging teams need to take the flack for bad code.
>
> I'm really starting to feel that this is the crux of the issue.  So
> where do we go to start influencing KDE?

hmmm, well maybe the solution is ship software with version > 4.x.1 only
skiping 4.x.0 and 4.x.1.

so only others distributions will ship 4.x.0 and 4.x.1 not Fedora

but the above will not fix anything, only thing will happen is which the
versions 4.x.2 will have the same quantity of bugs which the 4.x.0 and
4.x.1 in the present

the problem cause is not enough users test the updates before released
in fedora,

so when the packagers review the decision to push a stable update, the
bug list is short and no showstoppers are known

the long list of bugs is built after by the users which care to report
bugs. and only after the release of the updates.

so meanwhile the users don't test the updates to be, the situation will
be same. now Fedora ships Virtualization software, so the excuse to not
testing the "updates to be" in the own computer, well install them in a
Virtual Machine and test them.

Gabriel