RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 23:35:39 UTC 2010

Eli Wapniarski wrote:

> Eli

I sympathize with your exasperation. I am a
longtime fedora and foss consumer and fedora
tester -- when I am not so stubborn as not to
submit a bug report ;-)

It appears to me that your concerns are ones
regarding software programming, not regarding
packaging.

It seems that the ball is now rolling. Hopefully,
it will roll in such a way as to satisfy all our
needs and expectations.

Personally, I had hoped that new
packages/releases would end up in updates-testing
sooner, circumventing kde-redhat, but, if I
understand all that has been written recently,
there will still be kde-redhat for the newest
releases, and also, as I upgrade to the latest
release the day it comes out -- usually as soon
as the alpha comes out, so I will likely still be
accessing the latest as soon as it becomes
available.

If things end up moving too slowly, there will
likely be a packager somewhere who will set up a
new repo, so all is not lost. Hopefully, fedora
will remain that packager, as it would be best to
keep things under one hood for compatibility's
sake (remember what it was like when Dag was
packaging, too, and the conflict nightmare we
went through?).