Can someone package simon?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 11 17:14:24 UTC 2010

Kyle Pablo wrote:
> The non-free software is HTK correct?

Correct. It is not redistributable at all, so no repository can legally
carry it.

But Julius (which is the core tool Simon is based on) also has a license
clause which I'd consider non-Free: you're required to cite it in any
research which uses Julius in any way. It might even be interpreted in a way
where if you use Simon to dictate a completely unrelated research paper, you
have to cite Julius. This is a usage restriction which is IMHO really not
acceptable (and IIRC, another piece of software was already rejected from
Fedora for a similar clause). Licenses are not the proper venue to enforce
academic honesty. That said, spot said at:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2009-March/025990.html
that he thinks this clause is fine (but he only said "pretty sure", so I
guess he'd probably have to double-check with the FSF and/or RH Legal before
giving a definite answer).

        Kevin Kofler