address book problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 21 19:58:16 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 March 2010 19:13:50 John Aldrich wrote:
> > OK - Personal Contacts is your akonadi controlled addressbook - assuming
> > that the migration went properly.  Just check ~/.local/share/contacts/
> > and make sure you can see records there - if you can, that's one thing
> > eliminated.
>
> Yep. That's correct. There are a bunch of .vcf files there.

Good - so the migration has gone through correctly

> > I'm really struggling to think of something that we haven't already
> > checked. It seems unlikely to be a permissions thing, but I assume that
> > you've already checked that.
>
> Permissions are 40775, and I'm both the owner and the group.

Hmm - I'm both owner and group, but my permissions are -rw-rw-r-- - I wonder
whether the world read flag is needed for it to work correctly.  I suspect
that akonadi may be a user that needs to read - guesswork, but it may be worth
a try - you can always revert if it doesn't solve the problem.

> > Just remind me, which versions of Fedora, KDE and Kontact are you using?
> >

> Is Kontact the same thing as KMail? If so, the version of KMail is 1.13.1,
> KDE 4.4.1, Fedora 11.

Kontact is the container if you can see KMail, KAddressbook, KOrganizer etc in
the navigation panel.  If you start KMail alone, you won't see them.  I have
KMail 1.13.1, KDE 4.4.1, but Fedora 12.  I don't know whether there's any
significant difference between the F11 version and the F12 one.

Try the permissions - you've nothing to lose.

KDE Community Working Group