address book problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 09:01:22 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 21:39:53 Jan Simonson wrote:
> Thank you Anne, that solved the problem with interaction between
> KAddressBook  and KMail.

I knew that somewhere along the line I had set Personal Contacts to my Default
addressbook.  However, when I did it the setting was available within akonadi
configuration.  Then that disappeared and I couldn't find it again until the
developer pointed me to it last night.  I expect someone told the developers
that it should be in systemsettings, so they moved it.  It's easy enough once
you've found it.  I'll try to get this written up on userbase today.

> When doing the settings in KDE Resources I
> happened to see that there seems to be a possibility to use an old .vcf
> file. Perhaps that's a way to use my distribution lists until further. The
> problem with editing them still remains though as KAddressBook now seems
> to be unable to open std.vcf. I will experiment a bit when I have the
> time.

You have to add the std.vcf as a separate addressbook.  However, the
developers don't recommend doing this.  I'd suggest that you read
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook and then decide according to
your own needs.  I don't think it does any harm - I have std.vcf set up as a
resource on mine - so you should be safe to experiment.  As always, make a
backup first.

> I still stand by the opinion that this should not have been pushed until it
> was  much more mature!

They took the decision to only release things when they felt totally sure that
no data was at risk, and I'm sure we all applaud that.  It's simply that they
thought that their target was home users for whom distribution lists were not
a priority.  I expect that the fact that few questions are asked about the
subject makes them think that few people use it.  I do know that working on it
is high on the priority list for the developers.  I also know that they won't
release it until they feel it's totally safe.  Note that I said 'safe', not
'perfect' :-)

> Once again, thank you for taking the time with my problem.

No problem.  I hate mysteries ;-)

KDE Community Working Group