How do I turn down the volume on a system beep ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 25 05:44:33 UTC 2010

Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> If you are unable to see the beep in kmix you will need to configure
> channels and select it. If you do not see the option, it means that the
> kde multimedia system is configured to work with phonon and not alsa.

"Phonon and not ALSA"? Huh? I think you mean PulseAudio where you wrote
"phonon". But KMix PulseAudio integration is disabled by default in Fedora
12!

> I do not remember where to configure this in the kde settings. Kevin
> Koffler pointed this one out to me and is documented at

There's only one 'f' at "Kofler"!

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_PulseAudio_Integration
>
> At the bottom there is the section called "Release Notes" and there you
> will find the following information. Of course, you will have to logoff
> and back on to your KDE session to be able to see the change.

But the suggested change is already the default setup on Fedora 12! That
feature page is for Fedora 13.

The PC speaker setting in ALSA (and thus KMix) will only work if you're
having your sound card emulate the PC speaker, which is probably not how his
hardware is set up. (I think that feature is only used on some laptops.) If:
* you're using the actual PC speaker for beeps (not the sound card) OR
* you're redirecting the X11 bell to the sound card in software using PA OR
* the program isn't using beeps at all, but some GNOME notification sound,
then that setting will have no effect whatsoever.

        Kevin Kofler