How do I turn down the volume on a system beep ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 07:17:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 07:27 +0200, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010 02:18:51 Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > F12 fully up to date.  KDE sessions.
> >
> > System beeps, ie Evolution receiving a new email are very loud.  How do
> > I turn them down or off entirely ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> If you are unable to see the beep in kmix

When did the beep show up in kmix ?   I'm sure I checked for it when
this all started, but now its there in mine.  I muted it and now all is
well !  No more beeps.

The beep volume was set to zero before I muted it.  Apparently that
didn't make it quiet.

> you will need to configure channels
> and select it. If you do not see the option, it means that the kde multimedia
> system is configured to work with phonon and not alsa.
>
> I do not remember where to configure this in the kde settings. Kevin Koffler
> pointed this one out to me and is documented at
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_PulseAudio_Integration
>
> At the bottom there is the section called "Release Notes" and there you will
> find the following information. Of course, you will have to logoff and back on
> to your KDE session to be able to see the change.
>
> Users of KMix will notice that most of their hardware sound controls are no
> longer shown in the default (PulseAudio-based) interface. To get access to
> these controls, close KMix (use right-click / quit) and restart it by running
> KMIX_PULSEAUDIO_DISABLE=1 kmix in a Konsole terminal. To make this change
> permanent, add export KMIX_PULSEAUDIO_DISABLE=1 to your ~/.bashrc file.

Great post !  Thanks for taking the time to do this.   Much appreciated.