Nepomuk/Strigi issue(?): files re-indexed after reboot

Steven P. Ulrick fedora-kde at afolkey2.net
Thu Mar 25 08:27:43 UTC 2010

> > haven't
> > Nepomuk
Nepomuk
> > indexed.
> > Dolphin.
> > over
GiB.
Store
> been
> > up.

> > bug
> me

> The
> > > been
> issue.
> out
> > That
> > > working
> > >
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > > I have had recent, VERY temporary success with Nepomuk/Strigi.  I
have
> > seen
> > > up to several hours of the re-scanning of my files.  I have even seen
> > > actual metadata on those files in Dolphin.  But, all that has stopped
> > now,
> > > and Nepomuk/Strigi are no longer functional on my system.  I have no
> idea
> > > what made everything work temporarily, but I do know that
> Nepomuk/Strigi
> > is
> > > broken again on my system.
> > >
> > > Like I said in my previous message, I am interested in making this
> work.
> > > So if anyone could please be of assistance to me on this, I would
> greatly
> > > appreciate it.
> >
> > Hello Again,
> > I just had to reboot, and when I logged back in, Nepomuk just started
on
> > it's own, and scanned successfully for a few minutes.  I even checked
one
> > of the files that it claimed to have scanned, and I could view the
metada
> > in the right column of Dolphin.  So, let's see if things are continuing
> > with that level of success...
> >
> > A few minutes later it stopped :(  The metadata that I had seen a few
> > minutes ago was still there.  So, that's good at least.  I'll leave my
> > system inactive for a little while and see if Nepomuk starts scanning
> > again. But, I have seen Nepomuk scan while the system is under load, so
> > that SHOULDN'T make a difference...  We'll see.
>
> I just noticed that when it had scanned successfully for a few minutes
> after my recent reboot & login, and then after it had appeared to scan
some
> more a few times after that recent login, that it is scanning the same
few
> folders that it had scanned already.  So, I just excluded those folders
> just to see what happens...

OK.  Now this is getting silly.  A few Minutes after my initial success
this morning with Nepomuk, I added a new directory of music to what Nepomuk
is scanning.  It successfully began scanning that directory.
Unfortunately, Nepomuk must have started over Completely from the
beginning, because the files that Had been successfully scanned a mere few
minutes ago, now the metadata is gone/not viewable in dolphin.

So, for the benefit of anyone else that may having similar Nepomuk
instability, or may have it in the future, I eagerly await your input on
this, so that the fix for this particular Nepomuk madness will be publicly
known :)

Steven P. Ulrick