Disk Sleep + Zombie = Frustration!

Richard rz at linux-m68k.org
Thu Apr 7 20:12:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 03:45:19PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Ten years ago I was told that one of the strengths of Linux was that if an
> application went down it didn't take other processes with it.  Sadly this no
> longer seems to be true.
>
> Today I had used GIMP to make a scan of 200MB.  When I tried to save it it
> started, but then went into Disk Sleep.  XSane and, believe it or not, Libre
> Office Calc became zombies, responding to nothing that I could find in System
> Monitor.  Eventually, remember previous episodes, I asked for a system
> restart.  The shutdown began, then hung, leaving me with no option but to
> power down.

remember to check /var/log/messages and watch dmesg when you hit strange problems
like that, it is certainly unexpected that a 200 MB scan would nuke your system.
It might be a flaky USB drive rthat got into way or something like that.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers