WYSYWIG for HTML5

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Dec 10 00:00:42 UTC 2011

Peter Gueckel wrote:
> Years ago, I used to build my web page with Quanta, which was included in
> kdedevelop, I think.
>
> Is it or something similar still available? I only need support for html5,
> no legacy versions.

I don't know what the current status of KDE 4 Quanta is, but last I checked,
the new maintainer wasn't interested in VPL (Visual Page Layout, i.e. the
WYSYWIG mode) at all, i.e. the plan is/was to ship Quanta with only the
text-based mode and quick preview. The maintainer also said he was focusing
on XML/XHTML only, hopefully HTML5 made him change his mind there…

However, we still ship KDE 3 kdewebdev including the KDE 3 Quanta in Fedora.
It's a kdelibs app, but it still more or less works. Of course, the support
for new HTML5 features is going to be basically nonexistent… :-(

You may want to look into BlueGriffon, which is not a KDE app (it's based on
Firefox code and GTK+), but which should otherwise fill your requirements.
Unfortunately, only version 1.0 got packaged as (unofficial) RPMs (by Remi
Collet), for newer versions, there seem to be only upstream, 32-bit-only
binary tarballs. So IMHO it should be packaged first of all. But that's not
really on topic on THIS mailing list…

        Kevin Kofler