KMail archive

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Feb 2 02:12:55 UTC 2011

Gabriel Ramirez wrote:

>> I want to off-load some email folders containing old email,
>> eg In-05, Out-05, etc, perhaps to a directory ~/Archive/ .
>>
>> a) What is the best way to do this?
>> Would simply mv-ing ~/Maildir/.In-05 to ~/Archive/ confuse dovecot?
>
> I have dovecot with with mailboxes in mbox format and when I need to
> move one I do the following
>
> service dovecot stop
> mv ~/Mail/srcdir/mymailbox ~/Mail/destdir/.
>
> cd ~/Mail/srcdir/.imap
> rm -rf mymailbox/
> the last two steps is to delete the indexes maintainned by dovecot at
> the old location of mymailbox

Thanks for your response.
I take it you are basically moving the appropriate folder
and deleting the corresponding index files?
(In my case the indexes seem to be in the folder .In-05 etc;
I don't have a file .imap as far as I can see.)

> vim ~/Mail/.subscriptions and change the srcdir to the destdir where
> apropiate

I have a file ~/Maildir/subscriptions (no dot).
I'm not entirely clear what this contains,
but it does seem that it is probably what I need,
so I'll google to see exactly what it does.
(I didn't see any mention of it in the KMail manual.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net