Fedora 14 shutdown revisited [kmix?]

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 01:02:03 UTC 2011

On 08/02/11 11:56 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My netbook has the same problem as
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=257196 .  To shut down I have
> to issue the command as root, as the graphical ways show me the options but
> then ignore my response and refuse to shut down or reboot..  In that case the
> user was told to rename ~/.kde/share/config.
>
> I'm reluctant to use the sledgehammer approach,  System Settings has the
> correct settings for the user to shut down, so that seems to leave me with the
> config files.  Can someone tell me which config file governs shutdown
> behaviour?  I would have thought that it might be a global one, but the user
> mentioned did say that renaming his local config directory cured it.

I don't know if mine is the same issue but let me chip in and see... Typically KDE will not log me
out after an update to KDE has been installed (yum update). I get the log out popup, confirm,
windows start eventually closing but KDE will not "quit". What I observe is about 1MB/s I/O
operations on the drive -- kmix doing something silly (figured it out with iotop) and doesn't want
to give up (I let it run for some 15 minutes to see if it eventually quits...). 'kill -9 kmix' and
KDE happily completes logout. This does not happen if there was no update to KDE components. I've
seen this happen 4 times by now.

I don't want to hijack a thread here so I added "[kmix?]" to the subject in case it's something
different. Is it just me?

Cheers,
Dariusz