rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 30 15:23:26 UTC 2011

I'm trying to get rsync to operate on a number of directories, but not in a
mirror situation where I can easily use an existing app.  I therefore wanted
to set up a shell script which can be run over the network using keychain to
provide the necessary passwords.  On a single box it works perfectly, but of
course the network makes it more complicated.

Part of the problem may be that I have followed too many how-tos, and set
things up in a way that fight.  First, to get keychain correctly running -

Keychain is set up in .bash_profile and works.  Then I read that if you are
going to run a script with cron you need to eval keychain within your script
as it works in its own restricted environment.  This makes sense - but does
that cause problems when I run tests in bash, since keychain is already
running?

What happens at the moment is that the script appears to start, but suddenly
stops.  System Monitor shows disk sleep for all the rsync threads, and several
kde applications are also affected, notibly kwrite etc and dolphin etc..

To get out of the problem I have killed everything I can find related to those
apps, but I still end up with having to restart the computer.  Logging out
isn't enough - even if I can.  Sometimes it won't accept logout or even
shutdown, and have to power off.  Probably that's when I've tried too long to
cure it.

I desperately need some more experienced insight as to what is happening here.