Sudo and limited rights

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:40:03 UTC 2011

On Monday 31 Oct 2011 12:33:14 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> On 10/31/2011 09:27 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> Which file in /var/log/ ?
> >>
> >> What does getfacl /var/log/<file>  show?
> >
> > # file: var/log/dmesg
> > # owner: root
> > # group: root
> > user::rw-
> > user:anne:r--
> > group::r--
> > mask::r--
> > other::r--
> >
> >> Does this work from a prompt?
> >>
> >> tail /var/log/<file>
> >
> > tail /var/log/dmesg
> > -bash: /var/log/dmesg: Permission denied
> >
> > Anne
>
> Weird, you shouldn't even need to set a facl for /var/log/dmesg as other
> already has read access via normal unix permissions.
>
> other::r--
>

> What are the rights on /var and /var/log ?
>
> getfacl /var
> getfacl /var/log

[root at borg2 ~]# getfacl /var
# file: var
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x

[root at borg2 ~]# getfacl /var/log
# file: var/log
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:anne:r--
group::r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x

New to KDE Software?  Got some good hints and tips? - Welcome to
http://userbase.kde.org