KMail and spam filtering in KDE47

Peter Gueckel pgueckel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 02:17:31 UTC 2011

Claude Jones wrote:

> I ended up having to manually move the old mail
> into the new Kmail Folder structure - half the mail got migrated,
> and the rest remained in the old Local Folders structure.

That is a method fraught with thorns, as you say. The best method is to save
each email as a .mbox file and to then use the import tool to import an
entire folder of .mbox files. This works flawlessly, but unfortunately, the
imported emails are put into temporary folders, instead of into the inbox
directory, meaning one must manually move them. That can be tedious.

> the spam filter doesn't work - messages that are
> clearly marked as spam by Spambayes are left in the inbox instead
> of being moved to my Probable Spam folder

I never had that problem, although the spam filter did give me problems. Im
my case, all incoming mail was tagged as spam. I ended up disabling the spam
filter altogether and sorting the mail manually.

Now that I have migrated to Fedora 16α, these issues have no longer been
problems (although I have not enabled the spam filter, yet).