Configuring HP Laser Jet 1020 printer for Fedora 15

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Sep 29 23:35:24 UTC 2011

Vijayan wrote:
>              I use the KDE spin of Fedora 14. Unfortunately, I am not able
> to confugure my 'HP Laser Jet 1020 Plus' printer. Any easy way of
> doing it?

You need the foo2zjs driver. Unfortunately, the package in RPM Fusion Free
doesn't include the firmware nor the script which fetches it, so either you
have to download the firmware (sihp1020.img), convert it from img to dl
format using arm2hpdl (which is in the foo2hp package in RPM Fusion,
probably because it matches *hp*) and install it to
/usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware manually, or you build foo2zjs directly from
source, following upstream's instructions.

Alternatively, HPLIP supports this printer, but only with a proprietary
plugin. :-( The only Free Software driver for this printer is foo2zjs. It's
in RPM Fusion because of software patents, and I guess that's also why HP
refuses to support that printer in the Free HPLIP code.

        Kevin Kofler