libqzeitgeist & zeitgeist

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Jul 2 14:24:06 UTC 2012

> Unfortunately, no. I think that KDE must comply with the modularity, which means that you can safely delete parts of KDE without losing the rest of the functionality. It is respectful of the freedom of users, and makes KDE more flexible. I think the developers and maintainers need to understand it and appreciate, too.

If you can come up with a way to make things "just work" for all users
*and* satisfy your desires, then we have a way forward.

As it is, these are conflicting goals.

Besides, I'd also prefer to have some sort of justification to spend
time and energy on implementing what you want.  So far, I've only seen
"I don't want zeitgeist".  You need to say *why*, and ideally, also back
that up with evidence.  Examples include:
* zeitgeist has significant disk/storage requirements, ie, installing it
requires X.Y GB of space
* zeitgeist support incurs a significant cpu hit, chews X% cpu on my system
* I don't want zeitgest recording all my activity, my unscientific user
survey shows Y% kde users agree with me.

-- rex