Fedora 18, lose wireless WEP connection, cannot enter passphrase when prompted.

Victor B. Gonzalez fedoraproject at vbgunz.com
Tue Jul 3 21:46:25 UTC 2012

hello,

On Tuesday, July 03, 2012 02:30:26 PM Rex Dieter wrote:
> Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:
> > This request from secrets locks me out completely and is annoying because
> > the only way I know how to solve it, is to reboot. Fedora is completely up
> > to date using KDE 4.8.4. I'm not sure what to do *but* I am convinced the
> > problem is in the network manager.
>
> what wireless chipset?  (I'd bet $$ that it's a driver problem)

Running the following "sudo lspci -vv -s 03:07.0" results in

03:07.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2500 802.11g (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Ralink corp. Device 2560
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Kernel driver in use: rt2500pci

I have a Trendnet card model TEW-423PI sitting on my desk. Not sure if I
should switch when the current card works perfectly fine.  I am afraid I'll
simply run into the same problem with the other card.

I'd prefer to solve this problem but if switching would truly be the most
reliable solution because it may have better drivers, I'll do that. Otherwise,
if you know of a wireless card with superior open drivers, please let me know.

Thanks!

--
Best Regards
Victor B. Gonzalez