USB installation of Fedora-17

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jun 3 20:27:33 UTC 2012

Gilboa Davara wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone has successfully installed Fedora-17 through a USB
>> stick?
>> I tried two ways - with the DVD iso, and with the KDE Live CD iso -
>> on two machines, and met the same problem in all 4 cases:
>> only half-a-dozen modules were listed by lsmod,
>> and these did not include the ethernet or WiFi drivers.
>> I believe that this was due to a grub2 problem,
>> though I'm not sure about that.
>> In both cases lspci saw the hardware devices,
>> but they did not appear in /etc/udev/rules.d/ .

> I dd'ed the full DVD (not the KDE LiveCD) into a 8GB USB and used to to
> upgrade / fresh install F17 on multiple machines without issues. *

First, apologies for posting to this newsgroup -
I meant to aim for the fedora.general list.
However, the systems I was installing were actually both Fedora-17/KDE,
so I wasn't too far off.

I used a very cheap 32GB USB stick -
maybe that was the cause of my problems ...

I started by dd-ing the DVD iso onto the single partition /dev/sdb1
on the stick.
For some reason this did not boot,
so I deleted the partition (with fdisk)
and dd-ed the iso onto /dev/sdb .