USB installation of Fedora-17

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jun 5 12:03:55 UTC 2012

Gilboa Davara wrote:

>> Just to be clear.
>> When I removed /dev/sdb1 (with fdisk) on the USB stick,
>> and dd-ed to /dev/sdb exactly as you suggest,
>> the laptop did boot and I was able to install on my laptop
>> but the resulting system had only half-a-dozen modules installed
>> (according to lsmod).
>> I'm pretty sure the failure had something to do with grub2.
>> I chose the custom layout, incidentally,
>> as I wanted to keep Fedora-16 on another partition.
>>

> I think I know what happened.
> Are you sharing boot between F16 and F17 by any chance [1]?

I am.
I chose custom layout, and gave /dev/sda2 as /boot,
without formatting it.

Basically, I hoped that this would allow me to run Fedora-16
(which I kept on a different partition)
as an alternative to Fedora-17.

In fact, when I installed Fedora-17 with netinstall
everything worked fine, and I can boot into F-16 or F-17 or Windows,
as hoped.

What exactly was my error with the USB stick method?
As I mentioned I had the same problem with the DVD iso
and with the KDE Live CD (both transferred to the USB stick).

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net