plasma desktop eats CPU in F16

Zebee Johnstone zebeej at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:03:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
nitor widget shows CPU is high.

>> Top confirms the CPU hog is plasma_desktop, and strace shows
>> stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=2183, ...}) = 0
>>
>> I saw a note via google to remove
>> $HOME/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop* and doing that did solve the
>> problem but the problem is back.
>
> What plasma applets/widgets are you using?  Perhaps one (or more) of them
> are causing the problem.

Given the strace output I thought maybe it was the digital clock so I
removed that.  No change.  I then removed the system monitor, no
change.  Those are the only 2 widgets I have added over the defaults.

If I restart the desktop then everything is OK for a while, takes some
hours for it to go bad again.   That does seem to be some hours of
actual use rather than hours per se, as it hasn't gone bad overnight.

Zebee