Onscreen keyboard with word completion feature progress

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 18 09:49:38 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:
> I've no experience in implementing this sort of thing....or much of
> anything.
>
> However, I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to implement this in a
> more general way so it can be used equally in KDE/GOME and any
> application.
>
> Today, when using the ibus input method and Chinese you are presented with
> characters matching the input criteria.  So, that makes me wonder it
> wouldn't make sense to make this part of an ibus extension.

Yeah, I think something based on IBus would make more sense for Fedora than
something based on Presage. On the other hand, Maliit is what's out there
right now.

> At least for normal users it may make some sense.  I know that on my
> Android pad the predictive keyboard makes typing easier.  I think it would
> add functionality to the desktop.
>
> I wonder why Presage didn't/doesn't go that route.   It seems they may be
> relying on applications building in support for and being "Presage
> enabled".

As I understand it, Presage is yet another input method framework, competing
against IBus. Now IBus was primarily intended for input of Asian characters,
not for an on-screen keyboard, so it might not be the best solution here. On
the other hand, those "typing boosters" for IBus already show predictive
word completion on IBus, though not with an onscreen keyboard. But if I'm
not mistaken, IBus's architecture is based a lot on key presses, which might
not make it suitable for this purpose: I'd have to look at it more in depth
to see whether it'd be reasonably technically possible to implement
something like Maliit over IBus.

        Kevin Kofler