Plasma Netbook or Active on Fedora ?

Steve linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:34:29 UTC 2012

On 11/02/2012 09:13 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Can active be installed and co exist with a regular Plasma install ?
>
> Yes
I should have been more specific.   Can Active be installed and co exist
with a regular STABLE Plasma install ?   I'd like to enable testing for
only the Active install.  Is that possible ?

>> How does one switch back and forth between the session types ?  In the
>> session selector on the login page ?
>
> Yes, yes.
Beautiful functionality !

>> What yum command would be used to install these packages and not muck
>> everything else up ?
>
> Minimal setup is simply:
> yum install startactive
How would this be done for the testing repository while keeping the
Plasma from stable and not having dependency version issues ?

> optional addons include:
> yum install contour share-like-connect plasma-active-wallpapers
>
>> What yum command would be used to uninstall these packages and get back
>> to the system as it was before ?
>
> uninstall the list of packages from previous step.

Again, from the point of view of having Active come from testing and
keeping the rest of Plasma from stable ?

If one gets Plasma in totality from testing to handle the Active
dependencies, what would be an easy way to uninstall Active and roll
Plasma back to the latest version that is in stable ?

I don't mean to be a wuss, but I'd like to test Active on production
machines.  I'm OK with having issues while running testing versions of
Active and Plasma but I need to be able to roll back to Plasma stable at
the end of it all if it doesn't work out.

Other than that, this is hugely big news.  I doubt very many people are
aware of Active being available like this.