Kde Startup delays for 10 - 20 seconds (partially caused by nepomuk)

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 17:32:17 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 06 November 2012 10:19:22 Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 09:23 AM, Ubay Dorta Guerra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >      Here is the nepomukserverrc file:
> > [root at pc ~]# more
> > /usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/nepomukserverrc
> > [Basic Settings]
> > Start Nepomuk=false
> >
> > [Service-nepomukstrigiservice]
> > autostart=true
>
> OK, I think what you want is something like what I use @ work:
>
> # /etc/kde/nepomukserverrc
> [Basic Settings]
> # startup often causes 1-3 minute stall on login
> # perhaps some virtuoso db-on-nfs issue
> Start Nepomuk=false
>
> [Service-nepomukfileindexer]
> # Disable this by default, not exactly nfs-friendly
> autostart=false

Hi,

I doubt the delay is - only - caused by nepomuk/virtuoso in combination with
nfs. In fc17 I also see a 10-20 second startup delay and am not using nfs.
When trying to totally disable nepomuk the delay remains. I've no idea were it
comes from, but it looks like is has also something to do with sound - the
welcome sound is first thing that appears after the delay. May be
udisks/udisks2 has something to do with it.

Martin Kho

Btw.In fc18 there are much more delay issues caused by the combination of
udisks2 and kde-4.9.2