Simon SPHINX backend

Stv@d root at stvad.org
Fri Oct 12 11:46:41 UTC 2012

2012/10/12 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>

> Hi,
>
> in Fedora, we are interested in packaging Simon (it has been on our KDE
> package wishlist:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Packaging/Requests
> since 2009), but so far licensing issues with both Julius and HTK have
> prevented this. Therefore, we are very interested in your PocketSphinx
> backend.
>
> Unfortunately, in your commit
> http://commits.kde.org/simon/a2327b27b49145c4f58d77943865981c0e47b1f4 ,
> you
> removed support for building only the SPHINX backend, without the JHTK one.
> Why did you make that change? Is the SPHINX backend ready to be shipped?
> (Your
> GSoC report: http://blog.stvad.org/2012/08/gsoc-coming-to-end.html sounds
> like
> it is, but the above commit looks otherwise.) Would it be acceptable to
> package a snapshot of Simon with only the SPHINX backend?

>         Kevin Kofler

Hi Kevin,

I'm very glad that my project interested you!
I've made this change based on the fact that Simon has Julius & HTK only as
a runtime dependency.
So there is no sense just to disable to user ability to use Julius&HTK
backend. So by now you can freely build & run Simon without Julius&HTK. But
if user want to use Julius&HTK backend instead of Sphinx, Simon will tell
to user that he have to install Julius & HTK manually. And if user will do
it he will be able to use Julius & HTK backend also.
Good luck! I look forward to feedback and wishes for Sphinx backend.

--
Best regards,
Vladislav Sitalo