Menu editor

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Thu Sep 13 22:15:35 UTC 2012

For the last few Fedora releases I've noticed that the menu editor does not work very well.  The biggest problem is that it is nearly impossible to drag and drop menu entries to get them ordered how I want them.  Mostly I have to delete and recreate an entry to move it.  And that doesn't work much of the time either.

A good example is creating a submenu.  Using add submenu create a submenu in the menu that was highlighted (good), but it cannot be moved  (bad).  The only way to move it is to drag it outside any menu, then drop it back into the menu you want it in, but then it goes to the bottom of the list and is still not movable.  To make matters worse, much of the time the newly created submenu disappears, along with all of the items under that submenu.  Then I have to reset the entire menu to get those items back, which of course, removes all of the changes I made to the menu.

I'd like to drop all seldom used items in to a submenu called "More..." in order to keep the the "everyday" menu uncluttered.  I've given up on that.

Is there a file that contains the menu info, both the currently active and the default?  Perhaps I can get what I need by editing those files.

Emmett